Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The beginning

I was born in a backwoods town of Idaho. Whenever I think of the small rural town, the song from Deliverance comes to mind, Deulin' Banjos. If you haven't heard it, here's the link...


It just fits. Even down to the clothes and some of the housing.

When my mom was in labor, my dad dropped her off in the circle drive of the hospital and tried to drive away. My brother, who was the local police officer on duty, informed him that the car would not get towed and he needed to be in there with his wife. Needless to say, that's kind of an odd beginning. :)

My memories are of a poor town, with a few "rich" kids. Their dads owned a couple stores in town, such as one of the 2 major grocery stores, or the 1 department store. The rest of us, shopped at "Kings." Fine family dining, was at the local A&W on the highway out of town, with the telephones on the wall to place orders. My dad would always ask for a "trip to the salad bar," with every meal.

I played at my brother's house pretty much every day, from about the time I was 4 months old. I should have just been given to them as my nephews twin, considering we were 12 days apart. Everyone thought we were twins, which in such a small town was a definite novelty. I can't tell you how many times I have wished that would have happened. Sometimes I think life would have been easier that way, not that they didn't have problems. At least there would have been stable dysfunction in the home, instead of mobile dysfunction.

No comments:

Post a Comment